Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs
Xylitol is becoming a more frequent cause of toxicity in dogs.
There are an increasing number of cases of dogs getting sick from ingesting a common sugar substitute, Xylitol. This substance causes no problems in people, but in dogs it can cause wild fluctuations in blood sugar, often resulting in hypoglycemia. It can severe symptoms, liver failure, and even death.
Xylitol is widely used as a sugar substitute since it is as sweet as sucrose but has only one-third of the calories. It is a naturally occurring alcohol found in some plant material. It is extracted from birch wood to make the commercial product.
The types of items where Xylitol can be found is increasing. It is common in sugarless gum, mints, and candies. It can be found in some foodstuffs, such as baked goods. It is also present in some toiletries, such as toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral care products, such as Crest White Strips. Further, it is found in some over-the-counter medicines, nasal sprays, Flintstones Childrens' Vitamins, Beano liquid drops, and Nicorette gum. Some tube feeding formulas also contain Xylitol. Even some prescription medications, such as Mobic oral suspension, Gabapentin oral solution, and Zegrid contain Xylitol
Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning
Once a dog ingests Xylitol, symptoms may occur in minutes to hours. At lower doses, hypoglycemia is common. You might notice the dog acting weak, staggering, unable to walk, or even seizing. At higher doses, it frequently causes liver failure. With this you may see a loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and jaundice.
It does not take much Xylitol to make a dog sick. Even one to two pieces of sugarless gum can cause illness in a small dog. The problem is that Xylitol is not always listed as an ingredient on the label, or the amount of Xylitol in the product may not be detailed. Often it is listed in the "Inactive ingredients," or "Other Ingredients," but sometimes it is grouped together with other compounds as "sugar alcohols," or it is not listed at all.
Veterinarians and veterinary pharmaceutical companies are well aware of this problem, so this is not the source of the problems. Toxicity most commonly happens when dogs eat products made for people, including medications. Dogs become sick when they chew up people's food, toiletries, or medicine containing Xylitol. The other common method of toxicity is when people pick up medications at a human pharmacy for use in their dog. This may be in commercial prescription medications (especially liquids, as they are trying to improve the flavor for people by sweetening their product), or in compound medications. Always ask the pharmacist to look in their references to see if Xylitol is an ingredient in a medication before giving it to your dog. They undoubtedly will not know this already since it is not an active ingredient and this problem does not occur in people.
Always consult your veterinarian before administering ANY medications to your dog.
Source: "New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs". Veterinary Medicine, Dec., 2006. pages 791-797.